Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sphinx [sfingks] n.

After seeing Scout, who is a full month younger than Ansley, lay on her tummy with head held high like it was nothing, I decided Ansley needed to break her aversion to tummy time. We tried making a game out of it today, rolling her from back to tummy and tummy to back. It sort of worked. She was less upset about the time spent belly down and lifted her head high to look around instead of burying it into the blanket and screaming.


I also realized something last night as I tried to fall asleep. Yesterday, in her pictures with Scout, Ansley was wearing a onesie with a giraffe on it. This made me think about the fact that anytime "giraffe" is mentioned around Jon, the science teacher in him cannot help but tell you the origin and meaning of this word. The first time was a few years ago at Animal Kingdom. He decided it would be fun to ask me true or false questions about whatever we were looking at as we walked around the park. Luckily I found this endearing. The most recent time was a few weeks ago, and this is not a joke, when we were in bed about to go to sleep. We'd watched a Discovery Channel show that night and Jon was trying to convince me that "Qiviut" is the wool of musk oxen and considered to be finer than cashmere. He also reminded me that I didn't believe him about the meaning of the word giraffe at Animal Kingdom. Last night as I recalled these events it hit me...there is a very good chance that Ansley might become the kid in kindergarten who likes learning science facts a little too much instead of playing house and finger painting like a normal five year old. Putting that ABC's of science poster in her nursery may not have been the best idea after all :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment